Facts on our Scents
Our candles are made from U.S.-grown, GMO-free soybeans that are mixed with 100% natural vegetable oils to produce a candle that burns longer, is cleaner, and leaves little or no residue. more waste. On the other hand, the candles are scented with a blend of synthetic fragrance oils and 100% pure essential oils to produce the most fragrant candle possible.
Many people ask us why we don't just use essential oils to create a 100% natural candle. Simply words, essential oils generally do not react very well in candles and do not produce the quality of scent that most people would expect from a scented candle. So we choose what we believe to be the best possible alternative. The same thought process applies to the use of synthetic preservatives.
Scent oils are formulated from many aromatic ingredients derived from nature and created by scientific methods. Natural ingredients include essential oils, resins, and absolutes. Although the synthetic ingredients are made by humans, they are also found in nature and reproduced synthetically using scientific techniques.
Not all fragrance oils are created equal. Suppliers of scent for making candles offer a wide variety of scent oils; however, vendor scent oils are often used for the bath and body. The IFRA (International Fragrance Association), RIFM (Research Institute for Fragrance Materials) and the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) regulate standards for safety, purity and the maximum amount of fragrance oil that can be used safely. safety in products like soaps and cosmetics, which is much less concentrated than what you can put in candles.
At LightOnMe, we work directly with our fragrance supplier to formulate our fragrances which are 100% Organic, Phthalate Free, Paraben Free, Vegan, Gluten Free, Cruelty Free and IFRA Compliant.
Each type of candle wax is rated to bind to a different percentage of scent oil: when you add too much scent oil to a candle, it will leak out of the wax. Most suppliers recommend using 1 oz. fragrance per 1 lb of soy wax (approximately 6%). We use almost double the recommended ratio and add 10% scent oil to our candles; which, combined with our fully concentrated organic scent oils, gives our soy candles the best possible scent while being the safest for your health.
The alternative to scent oils is essential oils. Essential oils are distilled from the oil of the plant from which they were extracted. Although essential oils are natural and can offer therapeutic benefits (in aromatherapy for example), their use in candles has several drawbacks and health risks:
- Many essential oils lose their therapeutic benefits when burnt in a candle due to the high temperature.
- Essential oils are generally much more expensive than fragrance oils, and prices can fluctuate depending on weather conditions, crops, and trade relationships between countries.
- While essential oils can provide a nice cold spray, they provide very little scent when you burn them in a candle. It takes a lot more essential oil to try and get the scent strength of a scented oil, which is also prohibitively expensive for a candle.
- Essential oils do not offer the variety of scents that fragrance oils do; for example, you can't get a ginger apple crust or a pumpkin and apple butter essential oil.
- Essential oils can cause as many allergic reactions as scent oils (maybe even more); in fact, the majority of the 26 known allergens on the EU list are of natural origin (16 are constituents of essential oils and two are absolutes).
- Some essential oils can be toxic to animals, whether taken internally, applied to the skin, or simply inhaled.
At LightOnMe, we take the health of people and animals to heart. That is why we use in the manufacture of our products only the safest ingredients according to scientific standards and purchased from ISO certified Canadian suppliers.